PDA

View Full Version : Asian Session Fear

ArisInMusicland
09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi

I keep reading that you shouldn't trade during the Asian session (8pm et-2am et?) .

So. . .does anyone trade in this time?

When is it the best time to trade, according to YOUR experience and not what websites or books indicate.

I want to know when is it that you are actively trading with good outcomes.

I hear stories of the best traders waking at 2am et to ch the best movements....any fact in that?

Thanks, as always...

Future

Oxrido
10-16-2022, 06:32 AM
Simplest time to exchange. I just trade the asian session. If you have a good system and are happy with 10-20 pips per night then its the safest time to exchange. I ever dropped was 10 pips during this session.

elenamtnz
10-16-2022, 07:54 AM
Hello ProdiG,

What system do you use to snag your 10-20 pips at the asian session?

Due

easiest time to trade. I trade the asian session. If you have a fantastic system and are satisfied with 10-20 pips a night then its the safest time to trade. Most I ever dropped was 10 pips in this session.

Oxrido
10-16-2022, 09:16 AM
I am a manual trader so I only see what I like. That and a few moving average alignments and candle patterns. Bear in mind the Japanese invented the candlesticks so people are extremely helpful. It typically takes a little while for you to receive the pips. But if u are prepared to wait 30mins-1 hour to receive your pips you need to be OK. I live in new york and refuse to exchange the US session. Way too volatile for me.

Jadede10
10-16-2022, 10:38 AM
I'm a manual trader so I only see what I enjoy. That and a couple of moving average alignments and candle patterns. Remember the Japanese invented the candlesticks so people are very helpful. It usually takes a time for you to get the pips. But if u are willing to wait 30mins-1 hour to get your pips you need to be OK. I live in new york and refuse to exchange the US session. Way too volatile for me. But the volatility is what makes it interesting! As for me, I really don't initiate new places from the Asian session, I wait until roughly 15min until London open to place my entries even if I've been following the commerce formation throughout the Asian session. Asian session goes too slowly for me, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it provides a bit of cooling time for your market and thanks to this time slot that I expect to go out as well as a college student in my evenings rather than having to adhere to a screen as would be true if I lived in, well, the Asian session areas like Tokyo or Sydney.

Oxrido
10-16-2022, 12:01 PM
However, the volatility is what makes it interesting! Personally, I really don't initiate new places in the Asian session, I wait until roughly 15min before London open to put my entries even if I've been following the trade formation during the Asian session. Asian semester moves too slowly for me, however this isn't always a bad thing since it provides a little cooling off time for the market and as a result of this time slot that I have to go out and be a college student in my evenings instead of having to stick to a screen as could be the case if I lived in, well, the Asian semester places like Tokyo or Sydney. Volatility is not too enjoyable when you trade bigger blocks. Sucks big time when your down $500 within minutes. I also go to college and yea trading early in the day stinks but it beats with a job. If I go outside and overlook the asian session only trade the european session.

Zikauskas
10-16-2022, 01:23 PM
It depends exactly what you trade when actually, the asian session isn't any less choppy than every other, the range nevertheless is smaller on many european pairs such as euro, swissy and cable. If you want to trade the asian session, look at the oceanic and asian place pairs, for example Yen pairs, NZD and AUD crosses, you will find a much better range there. A lot of FX brokers are now supplying index's too, so that is another option to trade during these times.

In terms of more hazardous? . . I believe so at all, if anything, with the smaller ranges, it's safer for the newer trader.

Buiz69
10-16-2022, 02:45 PM
I love gbp/euro pair for trading due to its volatility. I found london/US open are great for trading time. I am an intraday trader and just searching for 10-20 pips motion. If God is so great to me, He will provide me 30-40 pips during this time:--RRB- I didnt trade asian time since the price movement is so slow and need to await hours to find profit. I am kind of man who cant wait for Immediate profit/loss

tsukiko2k5
10-16-2022, 04:07 PM
It depends upon what you trade when really, the asian session is no less choppy than every other, the range nevertheless is smaller on many european pairs such as euro, swissy and cable. If you would like to trade the asian session, examine the oceanic and asian area pairs, such as Yen pairs, NZD and AUD crosses, you will find a much better range there. A lot of FX brokers are now offering index's too, so that is just another option to trade during those times.

In terms of more hazardous? . . I believe so at all, if anything, with all the smaller ranges, it's safer for the newer trader. Great information as normal Akuma99. I have been live trading and I find I simply crash at 2 am in Sydney. So my choices are to awaken again, or simply set a stop loss or take a look at the asian sessions.

Do you use your BB squeeze techniques if you trade these?

Zikauskas
10-16-2022, 05:30 PM
Hey minuteI understand all about crashing about 2am... the squeeze method I published here is part of my general trading plan , no matter the market or tool, I make an effor to ensure I can utilize my methods across the board.

ArisInMusicland
10-16-2022, 06:52 PM
Thank you guys for your help.

The reason that I asked was that honestly I am doing pretty good when I place my trades Asian Time and wake up with a profit (ET).

Now, of course at the time I wake up the London session is in full swing, nevertheless I feel that Asian Time slowly gives me the ok to place my trade, and London takes it out of there and accelerate the process.

I might be wrong....but I certainly do feel that when trading throughout the day (NYsession) there are too many explosive changes that if go in the wrong way, can kill your account in minutes....

Thanks guys

Future

xXpATmXx
10-16-2022, 08:14 PM
I am primarily a swing trader so I discover my trigger does not go off until any moment between 2230 and 1000 PST... so trading at the Asian session does not actually affect me.

I am working on an intraday program and while I enjoy the lowered volatility and calmness of the Asian session, it just does not proceed. I don't wish to have to wait for three or four hours to make ten pips within an intraday system. That stinks and kinda destroys the whole purpose of trading on fifteen or five minute timeframes.

That is probably why I am a swing trader -- I will make 200-400 pips in 5 days. THAT'S worth the wait.

ArisInMusicland
10-16-2022, 09:36 PM
I'm primarily a swing trader so I discover that my trigger doesn't go off until any time between 2230 and 1000 PST... so trading at the Asian session doesn't actually affect me.

I'm working on an intraday program and while I enjoy the reduced volatility and calmness of the Asian session, it simply doesn't move. I don't wish to have to wait around for three or four hours to create ten pips within an intraday system. That sucks and kinda ruins the entire point of trading on fifteen or five minute timeframes.

That's probably why I'm a swing trader -- I will make 200-400 pips in 5 days. THAT'S worth the wait. I agree. . .that's my approach. Short-term trading with Forex isn't for me. I like swing trading. It usually takes me to shut my place, but it is usually worth the wait

Future

Andrea12345677
10-16-2022, 10:59 PM
Depends on what currency Pair un perform, I had been trading for 3 years now on actual full time. I enjoy usd Jpy, so I normally ch the tendency about the 3rd hourly candle in asian session. If not then I ch the low of the afternoon and hold it through Europe and then ch the spike in usa if a trailing stop could be applied.Personally I never enjoy entering a new trade during USA because its to volatile. I love to maintain the low during asian session because usa normally spikes up the profit and have a lot of pips currently incase usa turns against me.

If u like JPY USD take a look at the charts and see the lows you can normally get 3 times out of 5.

I only have a little account as opposed to the big guns on new york so I dont like to play against the big guns unless I have 50 to 60 pips profit currently in hand. (So I can bond out with a profit big or small without a loss)

Regards
Dennis

romenlm
10-17-2022, 12:21 AM
It's 8am in Tokyo and the trading day starts for main Asia. . What do you believe the Japanese are doing. .Playing Golf ? They're trading. I don't quite understand which type of systems you people are using, perhaps it's the total surrender to indiors? Or just your perception of the market as the audience in a quantum physics experiement. Hence you simply can't find the transactions. I exchange the market 5 days. I exchange the London most days but not all.The N.Y. I only trade into heavy opinion or news. Then it is the sideways market activity until Australia opens... Reduce the ma crosses and Asian will exchange.

Garrido3524
10-17-2022, 01:43 AM
I've been told many times that trading Asia isn't worthwhile, that it's scared me off. Truth is, Asia is the only time I truly have available to trade without enormous pain. So I've been preventing trading. (during NY I'm busy working for the man, and trading London means sleeping during Asia, which is not so good because I'm on the US West Coast).

Time to get a backbone and make Asia my session.

Andrea12345677
10-17-2022, 03:06 AM
Trade Asia, its safer and less volatile, I think the majority of the small traders reach that session. Less risk = more payoff, okay you not create 1000 pips per trade but you not loose it . Money mangement is the key. . .asia Provides you time to Consider Your position, should you choose the 3rd hourly candle in the interval seperater thats around 11 japan time afterward nby then the tendency is normally established....simple but it functions (Occasionally )

If un commerce usa, then it normally ends so scalp the profit taking at the end of session basically when the advertisements evolves taking finish of day profits

pabloglwzf
10-17-2022, 04:28 AM
I always trade assian session and haven't felt any trouble.It is comparatively slow and time consuming whereas London is fast and the NY open that overlaps london session as well is really quick.

If anyone is attempting to trade cable or euro in oriental then he must not expect speed.In oriental seesion yen and its crosses are quite active.

ina99
10-17-2022, 05:50 AM
Yes, I've a trade that is contingent upon the stability of the Asian time period...

there's always a way to discover advantages in trading whatever the markets could throw at us... The secret is to adapt.

BTW, kolachi, thank you for your big gifts to FF... Scott

I always trade assian session and have never felt any trouble.It is comparatively slow and time consuming whereas London is fast and the NY open which overlaps london session too is really quick.

If anyone is trying to trade cable or euro in asian then he must not anticipate speed.In asian seesion yen and its crosses are quite active.

kolachi

laura.delgaado
10-17-2022, 07:12 AM
It is 8am in Tokyo along with the trading day begins for primary Asia. . What do you believe the Japanese do. .Playing Golf ? They are trading. I really don't quite understand which type of systems you're using, perhaps it's the total surrender to indiors? Or just your perception of this market as the observer in a quantum physics experiement. Hence you just can't see the transactions. I trade the Asian market 5 days. I trade the London most days but not all.The N.Y. I only trade into significant sentiment or news. After that it is the sideways market activity until Australia opens... Reduce the ma crosses and Asian will trade. Perhaps they're playing golf. Kathy Lien says the NY-Euro session overlap accounts for 80 percent of the daily range. These percentages alone tell day traders that if they are really looking for volatile price action and wide ranges and cannot sit at the screen all day, the opportunity to trade would be the US and European overlap. She goes on to say The commerce intensity of this European-Asian overlap is much lower than every other session due to the slow trading through the Asian morning....With trading extremely thin during these hours, risk-tolerant nd risk-loving traders can take a two hour nap or spend some time positioning themselves for a breakout movement in the European or US open.

Like you, she's also a currency analyst. The charts do not lie, they reveal day after day the absence of volatility and price action in the Asian session. If you need to trade Forex and you can only trade the Asian session then so be it. However if you're a day trader looking to get volitility (and many of us are) then Asia is not where it is at.

Last night the Euro transferred 20 pips throughout the Asian session and 100 pips throughout the European-US session. You have to fish where the fish are.

DCadiz_g13
10-17-2022, 08:35 AM
easiest time to trade. I only trade the oriental session. If you got a fantastic system and are satisfied with 10-20 pips per night then its the safest time to trade. Most I ever lost was 10 pips in this session. I'm with you ProdiG,
Asia is easy to trade. Asia doesn't often reverse. It does behave different though. The momentum is S L O W.
I needed to learn to be patient and not overly greedy but now I pad my account and there using Asia quite successfully.

Find a transfer of about 30 pips movement in the Asian market. Grab a bite.

P.S. many often the GBP/USD and the JPY/USD move the best.

pabloglwzf
10-17-2022, 09:57 AM
Yes, I have a trade which is dependent upon the equilibrium of the Asian timeframe...
There is always a way to find advantages in trading anything the markets can toss at us... The key is to adapt.
BTW, , thank you to your large contributions to FF... Scott Thanks Scott.
Infact FF is my own own site and I am going to be writing here as long as Magic Man is pleased with me.LOL
I have learnt a lot out of you,James and additional seniors.
I have to say Thank you scott.

Garrido3524
10-17-2022, 11:19 AM
I have to get an Asia centered strategy, since my alternative is to stay up all night. That's not so great, because I need to leave work 6:30-7 am MST.

But I actually like the idea of a slower market at least while I am getting a deal on trading.

annaperwz9
10-17-2022, 12:41 PM
I have heard that the Asian sesion has been choppy. Never checked it out, myself.

Try using styles / systems suited to a trading market in those hours.

MrMigo
10-17-2022, 02:04 PM
I read all of those things from the novels and Vegas about Asian chop chop and remained away. I'm sorry I did. I have discovered that it can be very profitable. No you do not get 500 pip moves, but a reliable 40 to 50 is a lot better. Especially once you remember, that the object of investing is to earn money not establish how right you're. I exchange the daily charts and lots of times would put in a trade in the evening to see it go up nicely 25 - 30 pips, then turn and reverse prior to hitting the profit in the usa session. I heard something. If you've got a profit, there's nothing wrong with taking it. I use the EURUSD and USDCHF. No news is good news and techs rule those at night.

laura.delgaado
10-17-2022, 03:26 PM
There is nothing wrong with the Asian session. The issue is that because ot the low ATR you have to have your trade and your account exposed longer than you would in different sessions. The more time you expose your account to the market, the more probable the odds are that some negative move will happen. Among the statistics that egies are measured by is exposure or period in market. Less is better .

Mioxra72
10-17-2022, 04:48 PM
If not then I ch the low of the day and hold it through Europe and then ch the spike in usa if a trailing stop could be applied. Ummmmmmm....how do you ch THE low of the day? I mean, if the oriental low occurs at 7pm and it is 7pm, how can you know that it's THE low? What if it moves lower?

Please tell me your key to ching the oriental low, I could make millions in only a few days.

DCadiz_g13
10-17-2022, 06:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with the Asian session. The problem is that because ot the very low ATR you have to have your transaction and your account exposed longer than you want in different sessions. The longer you introduce your account to the market, the more probable the chances are that some adverse move will occur. Among the statistics that egies are quantified by is exposure or period in market. Less is better . Without doubt Phil, that is the hardest thing to get used to during the oriental trades. That tiny clock goes off in your head that says. You have been in this too long! Hazard! The momentum is indeed slow you just feel like you're about to get hosed. But, generally speaking, it just keeps chugging along in your direction. I still get out too soon in the Asian trades sometimes but I am getting sharper about the exits. It's only something.

DCadiz_g13
10-17-2022, 07:33 PM
How tidy was tonights Asian market?

laura.delgaado
10-17-2022, 08:55 PM
how tidy was tonights Asian market? Wow! It's moved 25% of the daily GBPUSD range along with also a pip in just worth 80 percent as much.

I'm very happy for you. I simply could not resist.

Oxrido
10-17-2022, 10:17 PM
how clean was tonights Asian market? It was amazing now. Great chart set up and usdjpy brief in the 117.40s

dacbb
10-17-2022, 11:40 PM
Hi

I keep reading that you should not trade during the Asian session (8pm et-2am et?) .

So. . .does anyone trade in this time period?

When is it the best time to exchange, based on YOUR experience and not what sites or books indicate.

I would like to know when is it that you are actively trading with great outcomes.

I hear tales of the top traders waking up at 2am et to ch the top movements....any fact in that?

Thanks, as always...

Prospective That's what I have been doing for the past few days... it has been profitable... but now I can't concentrate in school out of lack of sleep. Moderation. Granted, I have extremely limited experience... but thought I would share anyway.

ArisInMusicland
10-18-2022, 01:02 AM
Consider how my little thread is gaining interest I am rather proud

LOL. . .just joking. . .well not actually, it is nice to see your queries being answered by so many people

Anyways, I figure that we could all agree that although the Asian session has a bad reputation for many valid reasons, it is not THAT bad as many want to reveal.

This is the Wonderful thing about this market,'cause everyone has many choices for their own trading style

Due to all of you for sharing your adventures

Future

xXpATmXx
10-18-2022, 02:24 AM
Maybe they are playing golf. Kathy Lien states the NY-Euro session overlap accounts for 80% of the daily range. These proportions independently tell day traders that if they are actually looking for volatile price action and wide ranges and cannot sit at the monitor all day, the opportunity to exchange would be the US and European overlap. She goes on to say The commerce intensity of this European-Asian overlap is much lower than any other session due to the slow trading during the Asian morning....With trading extremely thin during those hours, risk-tolerant nd risk-loving traders may take a two hour nap or invest time positioning themselves for a breakout movement in the European or US open.

Like you, she is also a currency analyst. The charts don't lie, they show day after day the absence of volatility and price action in the Asian session. If you HAVE to trade Forex and you can just exchange the Asian session so be it. However if you are a day trader looking to get volitility (and many people are) then Asia isn't where it's at.

Last night the Euro moved 20 pips during the Asian session and 100 pips during the European-US session. You have to fish where the fish are. At the conclusion of the day, it truly comes down to what your character is, and so, what your trading style is.

If you are a daytrader, then God forbid you need to trade during the Asian session. But if you are a swing trader, then you're able to handle that slow period.

Once more, trading is knowing who you are... as you know, that means it's 99% psychological.

Copipk333
10-18-2022, 03:46 AM
Bumping this thread.

I used to advoe against trading Asia. I am all for this. The volatility has improved since a year or two back and there is almost always one tradable movement per session, or even more. It is still the least volatile of the three phases, however there are chances for the taking. A more active Asia session is a fantastic thing for US traders that have day jobs, and more preferable to waking up before sunrise to exchange what's left of London before this NY open. Typically things won't get rolling until 8pm eastern time in Japan available (7pm when standard time is in effect - Japan has no daylight savings), though I'm typically watching at least one hour before Japan open. I wait for one movement, which is. I'm simply too busy differently to see the market all the time, and Asia has emerged as a nice alternative to the go-go London and New York sessions.

Asia occasionally takes a while to wake up, so the key is to simply wait for a clearly articulated direction and do NOTHING until that articulation occurs. Seeing several pairs in once for related movements is important. As soon as you get a feel for market action, the chances are obvious. Then it is all MM, controlling greed, etc..

miiraym1999
10-18-2022, 05:09 AM
Hello!
I am aware there are some with a lot of posts such as fxstreet, forex-bull, etc..
But I Would like a site with VERY DETAIL info.
THANKS!!!!